Re: Centralised EU censorship blocks mails !?

Anno domini 15:01:40 Wed, 6 Oct 2021 -0700 (PDT)
 Gianluca Interlandi scripsit:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, Gene Heskett wrote:

> >> I'm at the UW, which invented the e-mail client pine, contributed to
> >> IMAP and other achievements. Now they have handed everything over to
> >> google and MS. Reason: if there is a lawsuit, google and MS will come
> >> up with the legal means.
> >>
> >> Gianluca
> >
> > A protection racket, but who protects you from the racketeers enforcement
> > flunkies?
>
> It's not that google and MS would defend the UW, it's more like those
> companies have the resources to protect themselves. So for example if
> there is a data leak, the UW could simply say it's google/MS fault.

That's a good one - often heard from "managers" and "leaders". I can tell what M$/Gockle is going to say in their defense :)

> It's
> about the UW outsourcing the responsibility (mostly because of the school
> of medicine with its complicated legal policies). How that would play out
> in real life, I don't know. I'm just stunned how academia used to be the
> place of innovation and now they can't even run an e-mail server (or at
> least the legal implications would make it complicated).

In Austria academia started its demise with "Schüssel 1" ~ 25 years ago. But this lamento is long and well known and all the same all over the world. When I was in highschool we had a lecture of a bright person over innovation and economy cycles - that was ~ 1984. He said based on historic data the next up-cycle will reach its climax in ~ 20-25 years due to an invention not yet known followed by the next anitclimax in ~ 50 years. Man, what we laughed about that crude theory - "an unknown invention? How could that be?". And now we are there nearing the next anitclimax and history proofes again that men don't learn from history.

Nik