Re: Centralised EU censorship blocks mails !?

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Wednesday 06 October 2021 12:44:40 Gianluca Interlandi wrote:

On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, dep wrote:
said Gianluca Interlandi:
| Just wondering, is the issue with internet service providers
| (ISPs) blocking the e-mails or is it the e-mail service companies?
| In the latter case, would it solve it by switching to a different
| e-mail service, e.g., from GMX to gmail or similar?

Oh, and handing the mail over to Google is not something that
accomplishes anything that any sane person would want to have.
Google, for all its "want-some-candy-little-girl?" freebies, is
evil.

I'm at the UW, which invented the e-mail client pine, contributed to
IMAP and other achievements. Now they have handed everything over to
google and MS. Reason: if there is a lawsuit, google and MS will come
up with the legal means.

Gianluca

A protection racket, but who protects you from the racketeers enforcement
flunkies?

It's not that google and MS would defend the UW, it's more like those companies have the resources to protect themselves. So for example if there is a data leak, the UW could simply say it's google/MS fault. It's about the UW outsourcing the responsibility (mostly because of the school of medicine with its complicated legal policies). How that would play out in real life, I don't know. I'm just stunned how academia used to be the place of innovation and now they can't even run an e-mail server (or at least the legal implications would make it complicated).

Gianluca

--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/
Web mail archive available at
https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trini
tydesktop.org

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                     +1 (206) 685 4435
                     http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
- Louis D. Brandeis