Re: Centralised EU censorship blocks mails !?

said Gianluca Interlandi:

| Just wondering, is the issue with internet service providers (ISPs)
| blocking the e-mails or is it the e-mail service companies? In the
| latter case, would it solve it by switching to a different e-mail
| service, e.g., from GMX to gmail or similar?

The email situation in general is a mess, whether from some outside
provider, from the ISP, whatever. I was reasonably happy with my ISPs
service until they farmed it out to the molding remains of AOL and Yahoo
(fronting for Verizon) who when they took over sent out a notice saying
that they'd be combing through everything to find anything they could
sell, and by using their service we agree to their doing so. (At least
they did send the notice; most places hide that stuff in legalese 14 links
into the privacy statement on their websites.) That day I switched to
ProtonMail -- I've never been back to the ISP's mail at all. I chose a
paid version because I wanted to move my domains over to them and because
I wanted the then-beta ProtonMail Bridge, which is a big wad of stuff that
lets me use my preferred mail client, in my case KMail; those two features
are not available to free accounts, where one needs to use their webmail
or something like the standalone ElectronMail webmail emulator. Those two
things work very well, but have shortcomings: they make local mail archive
storage problematic, and they make anything but top posting sheer bloody
hell.

But something like that is all that there is nowadays. Or the kind of thing
that has been discussed here involving GPG or the like, which is effective
if everybody is onboard.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album