Re: Recommendations for TDE-compatible non-systemd distro?

On Monday 04 October 2021 07:55:52 Michael wrote:
> On Sunday 03 October 2021 10:59:25 pm Felix Miata wrote:
> > IMO: Rethink your aversion to systemd. Eventually you'll run into
> > software you simply cannot use because it depends on some part of the
> > growing systemd monolith. All the major distros have switched to systemd.
> > Those that don't are increasingly relying on kludges and a growing amount
> > of forking upstream to keep going.
> >
> > If you expect to live more than 10 more years, you might as well go
> > mainstream sooner than later.
>
> The irony of your arguments Felix is it is the same argument KDE4 people
> made to those who switched to TDE.  Especially the, “If you expect to live
> more than 10 more years,” since TDE recently celebrated its 10 year
> birthday…
>
> Michael

Myself, I plan to live for ever, but I hope never to be forced into using
systemd; or to do anything else, or to use any software or machine, that does
not respect my wishes. I want my machine to do what I want, not for me to
have to obey my machine.

When I used Debian and systemd, I always had strange problems that I could not
resolve easily, but as soon as I switched to Devuan, my life got much less
complicated.

No doubt Felix (and others who run Debian other systemd distros) have had
better experiences. Otherwise they wouldn't stick with it. I may change my
mind in the future, but I doubt it.

If it does come down to something like an ultimatum (i.e., use systemd or
else!), then I will use the standard exemption that it goes against my
religion. So now I need to find some religion or deeply-held philosophical
belief or spiritual practice that will justify my rejection of non-GNU/Linux
and other software that I find objectionable.

Top of my list so far are the Amish, Luddites and anarcho-primitivism. However
these would require big changes in my life, so I hesitate to commit myself to
any single path. Or I could just keep things simple, and run Devuan.

Bill