Re: Kmail connections

said Gene Heskett:
| On Sunday 05 September 2021 08:36:06 Echedey López Romero via tde-users
|
| wrote:
| > On 5 September 2021 13:12:14 WEST, Edward <epp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
| > >Hi everyone.
| > >
| > >I'm not too happy that neither Debian nor the Ubuntuzilla repository
| > >have made Thunderbird 91 (now on 91.0.3) available after almost a
| > > month since 91.0 was released. I obviously do not know what could be
| > > holding it up.
| > >
| > >Does TDE's KMail offer persistent/cached (?) connections like
| > >Thunderbird does - with the app open/minimized if an e-mail comes in
| > >(IMAP accounts), it's automatically retrieved?
| > >
| > >Thanks in advance.
| >
| > I can tell you that no AFAIK.
| >
| > I wanted to make a question here too because I didn't see a
| > configuration switch to even make automatic check every several
| > minutes.
| >
| > There are only options at startup or manually.
|
| Thats not true, it can access your ISP's mail server. But it puts the
| command line to sleep (but doesn't miss what you type) while its doing
| it, so I automated that as a separate process with fetchmail which scans
| my ISP's server at 2 minute intervals. Which hands the mail delivery off
| to procmail, which in turned runs the incoming mail thru both
| spamassassin and clamav by way of custom recipes, depositing what
| survives that gauntlet into /var/spool/mail/$username, and inotifywait
| see's that and tells kmail by way of dbus, to go get the local mail and
| sort it into its proper directories.  This only takes a few milliseconds
| per message. Much less annoying.

I'll see you and raise you fifty: Though it's not officially supported,
I've found that ProtonMail > ProtonMail Bridge > KMail work as close to
perfectly as anything computer-tational ever does. I've been using KMail
since KDE-1.0, so for 23 years now. (Switched from XFMail, which was as
far as UI is concerned basically KMail built with a different toolkit,
though I suppose it would be more accurate to put it the other way around,
because XFMail came first.)

KMail worked as reliably and completely as a mail client can, with nothing
upstream between me and the server, and still would here but for an
announcement from the ISP three years ago that they would now be going
through everyone's mail in search of anything they could sell. Thus
ProtonMail, which keeps everything encrypted on the server even after
download. It relies primarily on a webmail interface, though there are
standalones that handle it a little better. The standard among these is
ElectronMail.

But I prefer local mail storage, and that's why I was eager to beta test
and now use ProtonMail Bridge. It is a biggish package -- ~65mb -- but it
does a lot. When you do a mail fetch from ProtonMail, what you would get
is utterly encrypted. The bridge decrypts the mail after it arrives at
your computer, and encrypts whatever you send before it leaves the
computer. On the client side, it has standard hooks that effectively let
your mail client treat the bridge as the mail server.

On Linux it officially supports Thunderbird and that's that. But it can
pretty easily be set up with KMail or just about any other client that can
handle imap.

ProtonMail's spam filters are remarkably effective without an overabundance
of false positives.

>From time to time, usually when dabbling with KMail from KDE- >3.x, I've
gotten exasperated and tried something else. And have invariably returned
to TDE's KMail by the end of the day. I'm confident that there's no client
that's better, and I don't think a better client is possible.

Which underline's your appraisal. KMail works with just about any
configuration you can imagine.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album