Re: switching to sdd boot drive

said William Morder via tde-users:

| Speed is the worst drug of all. At first you will feel that you are
| running just a bit faster, and it will be nice. But then you'll get used
| to it, and you'll start to wonder again why your machine is running so
| slow.
|
| It never stops. That's how these things are designed to work, so that
| you need to buy more, and run even faster.

I have often considered what it would be like to boot and run one of my old
OS/2 installs on my current system. When OS/2 2.0 was released IBM said
that we needed 4 but preferably 8 mb -- not gb, mb -- of memory. And I had
a luxurious 340mb Micropolis hard drive (purchased at the
they-ll-never-be-this-cheap-again price of $650). So it should be possible
to load the entire system into a ramdrive and have, what, 31 gigs of
memory left over. I think it would run pretty quickly.

Remember when the computing world was *outraged* that a full install of
Winword 2.0 ran 20mb? That was when you could fit Wotd for DOS onto a
bootable 360k floppy; if you wanted the help files, you'd need to install
it on a bootable 3.5-inch 720k floppy.

Makes one think that things have gotten a little slow and bloated, no?

Then again, Linux used to run perfectly well on a Pentium 133 with 8 megs
or so of memory. Probably not the case anymore. <g>
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/