switching to sdd boot drive

Greets, folks . . .

The nifty little WD 500gb SSD has arrived. I stuck it into a little USB
adapter device and seem to have succeeded in dd'ing my boot
partition. /dev/sda1, onto it. I have employed the appropriate utility to
give it a unique ID, and have labeled its first partition as BOOT. (My
home partition, on the existing /dev/sda, is labeled HOME, and /etc/fstab
are edited to mount LABEL=BOOT as / and LABEL=HOME as /home.)

If things weren't unnecessarily complicated, I could go into the bios and
tell it to boot from USB and check the thing before I mounted it
permanently. Ah, but . . . There's no nice, normal setting to set boot
order in the frigging bios! I can't tell it to just boot from USB and call
it a day. Instead, it offers a variety of choices that include booting
from a drive that has no operating system at all, so it's not smart or
anything like that.

I did update-grub on the existing hard drive installation and it saw and
added the SSD install. Here things get weird: sometimes it shows it and
sometimes it doesn't. Ubuntu in its wisdom has screwed around with the
GRUB2 menu. Initially it didn't't show up at all; after I dicked around
with it a little a few days ago I got it to appear. Even then, it isn't a
GRUB menu as we know it.

By fiddling around with the bios I can get a menu that contains the
SSD -- /dev/ssd1 -- to show up in the GRUB menu, but sometimes not. And
even then, if I select the SSD installation, it does fiddle a little with
the SSD on the way in, but boots to the /dev/sda1 install.

Now, this is especially problematic because the hard drive boot is, as I
mentioned, from /dev/sda1, while /home is /dev/sda3, so just yanking that
drive is not among the relatively convenient possibilities.

I'd like to boot from it, of course, for reasons including the ability to
run update-grub on it, so that the default boot would be from the SSD when
it is happily installed in the system. (After which I'd open a terminal
and again run update-grub so that GRUB would get everything in its final
configuration, with booting from the hard drive possible in case of SSD
failure.)

Any ideas? Prefarably as opposed to guesses?
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/