Re: how to stop power management - hibernate/standby, etc. ? - redux

On Friday 13 August 2021 13:40:08 Michael wrote:
> On Friday 13 August 2021 02:53:55 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > However ... I have been having rather a lot of what seem to be intrusion
> > attempts.
>
> Do you have a firewall installed?  ufw is the usual Debian (&derivitives)
> one. Gufw Firewall (gufw), http://gufw.org , is a GUI for it, which makes
> it insanely simple to setup.

Yup, I have ufw and gufw installed. (I believe that was on your own advice, as
I used to rely on firestarter, which has been discontinued.

> Note:  If you are getting huge numbers of intrusion attempts, gufw's logs
> will fill up rootfs fairly fast if rootfs is on it's own partition (default
> is usually 50G when installed separately from /home)

Yes, I need to check logs. I disabled logging due to this very problem: I
would run out of space on that partition every few days. However, logging
exists for good reasons, and this is probably one of them.

And here was I thinking that a root partition shouldn't need much more than 20
GB, so that my 30+ GB ought to be more than enough.

> > I have been getting weird emails from people who have exited the
> > scene five or six years ago; they are dated 31 December 1969 (which date
> > I get whenever, it seems, an email is corrupt).
>
> Check your disk(s)??  Smart something or other.  I can look it up if
> needed.

Smart card or something? Not sure to what you're referring.