how to stop power management - hibernate/standby, etc. ? - redux

> > if you use systemd
>
> Original poster already stated it was a Devuan desktop, so no systemd
> and no lid to close.
>
> E. Liddell

Okay, so now the plot thickens to the consistency of mud.

My machine has been humming along peacefully now for about 10 days (since I
changed the config file here:
/home/<USER>/.trinity/share/config/tdepowersaverc

To bring everybody up to speed: I want to make it so that my machine NEVER
goes into hibernate/standby/sleep or whatever. It's not that I am not
concerned for the environment, nor that I am uninterested in saving a little
money on electricity; but I do that manually, by pushing the power button on
the monitor, and by shutting off other unnecessary stuff, like my speakers,
etc. I don't like when machines try to do my thinking for me.

I run a Frankestein desktop (self-built, created out of parts), and I am
running Devuan Beowulf, upgraded recently from the Trinity PTB repository.

For some reason that I could not determine, it was going into hibernate mode
after a few hours left unattended, which was really screwing up my life, as I
was running various tasks overnight. I wake up in the morning (usually early
afternoon, that is), and the power light is blinking. I push the button and
it resumes, but my work is interrupted.

After changing that config file, everything went fine for about ten days. Then
suddenly last night before bed (as the sun was just coming up and the birds
were chirping), my screen flickered, and I briefly caught sight of a
notification telling me that a "new display" or "another monitor" was now
available, then it went dark, then came back. For the record: I don't have
another monitor.

However ... I have been having rather a lot of what seem to be intrusion
attempts. I have been getting weird emails from people who have exited the
scene five or six years ago; they are dated 31 December 1969 (which date I
get whenever, it seems, an email is corrupt). I will get several of these,
every time I check email. Moreover, my most recent emails from other sources
(especially the TDE mailing list) get resent to me; on a busy day, I was
deleting 150 emails from the Trinity list. This went away, but now it's back;
thankfully, it hasn't been too busy on the Trinity list, so I've only had to
delete maybe a dozen or so in the past day or two.

There are other very strange events, but they are all like this, as though my
system is under attack, but I cannot find any source. I don't know that this
is especially unusual, as I expect that many others have to put up with
intrusion attempts, but maybe they never notice them.

Whether these events are all related or not, I cannot tell, but they seem
related; or at least, trouble in one place tends to make things more
complicated, and other problems contribute to make everything worse.

I checked TCC / System Administration / Monitor & Display / Global Settings
and it seems that (under hotplug rules) a box was marked for :0:VIRTUAL1,
which I don't recall was marked before. I unmarked it, and looked for some
corresponding line to edit in the config file, but I see nothing.

Does anybody out there have a clue about what's going on?

Bill