Re: how to stop power management - hibernate/standby, etc. ? - RESOLVED?

On Wednesday 04 August 2021 12:16:22 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2021 19:55:42 +0200
>
> deloptes <emanoil.kotsev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > E. Liddell wrote:
> > > The nuclear option would be to rebuild the kernel without support for
> > > suspend, but that may be overkill.  There *should* be a software
> > > "helper" at some level (below TDE, but above the kernel) that you can
> > > kill instead. Possible suspects include elogind, suspend
> > > (https://github.com/bircoph/suspend), hibernate-script
> > > (https://gitlab.com/nigelcunningham/Hibernate-Script), and the obsolete
> > > pm-utils.  There may be other Devuan- or Debian-specific options that I
> > > don't know about.
> >
> > if you use systemd
> >
> > sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target
> > hybrid-sleep.target
> >
> > I don't remember if you mentioned it is a laptop or a desktop.
> >
> > If laptop could be lid close thing
>
> Original poster already stated it was a Devuan desktop, so no systemd
> and no lid to close.
>
> E. Liddell

Just thought I'd post a note that this issue seems to have been resolved, at
least for the time being, at least to my own satisfaction. I don't know that
the problem is actually *solved*, but for now I am able to get on with actual
life instead of futzing all night with my various settings.

Other methods that were suggested seemed rather too involved, though they
might also have got the job done. But really it is pretty simple.

I did have a few gnome and gnustep packages installed, due to my brief need
for unrar or unrar-free or whatever it was; however, these seem only maybe to
have indirectly affected my settings, which may ultimately have come down to
a permissions problem. To wit:

Following Nik's suggestion, I edited this file:
/home/>USER>/.trinity/share/config/tdepowersaverc

I set some of the time values ridiculously high (i.e., only autodimm after
about 150 years or so, in minutes), and changed some other settings in this
file. Others are probably better at this than I, but anyway, it did the
trick.

As I said earlier, I used to edit these -rc files all the time, in order to
get my machines to behave (when running KDE3/TDE), though I don't recall
using this simple method to control the ~powersave settings. I used it a lot
for the ~networkmanager, but somehow got out of the habit. (I think it's
because TDE has changed some of the config files to a different format, but I
haven't kept up.)

Before changing my settings in this file, I make a backup,
tdepowersaverc-orig, and after changing my settings, I save a copy of this
to a safe location, so that I can just use cp to overwrite this file whenever
it gets a mind of its own again.

Last step is to change permissions on this file to read-only, so that only I
as admin can alter the settings.

Since then I have let it run overnight for a few days, and it has gone through
one reboot during that period, yet my settings now remain constant
throughout, so it seems to be resolved. Whether the problem returns, I don't
know, but for now things are back to normal for me.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Bill