Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

Anno domini 2021 Fri, 06 Aug 14:10:51 +0000
 dep scripsit:
> said Dr. Nikolaus Klepp:
>
> | And the UUIDs will give you a hard time when you duplicate drives and
> | boot with two identical UUIDs. e.g.:
> |
> | dd if=/sda of=/dev/sdb
> |
> | Remove /dev/sda - it's the old one, replace it by /dev/sdb. Put the old
> | drive on the shelfe for backup.
>
> Strangely, this didn't work for me a couple of years ago -- well, maybe
> more than a couple -- when I tried it in replacing a laptop drive. Ended
> up being the biggest mess ever (until I tried to run GRUB on a non-booted
> drive a few months ago, which was hell).
>
> Does copying the UUID happen with cloning software? I'd kind of hoped to
> clone my current boot drive's boot partition to the SSD.
>
> There have been comments in this thread that have suggested that all the
> other drives be unplugged and a fresh install be done to the SSD, which
> puzzles me. because that wouldn't be necessary with a traditional drive
> and I do not understand how an SSD would be different in that regard.

It's just to make sure you do stuff on the right drive.

UUIDs should be copied by clong software, too, otherwise grub of your clone will not boot. So you'll have to chane UUIDs of the clone, adjust grub and check that it's bootable.

dd works like a charm, as long as your target drive is at least of the same size as the source drive. You can do some magic with gpart, e.g. shrink partitions etc., but you'd need to start with something like puppy or exegnulinux or anything else with gpart on it.

Nik