Re: how to stop power management - hibernate/standby, etc. ?

Have you tried any of this?

https://www.tecmint.com/disable-suspend-and-hibernation-in-linux/

You may try:

systemctl --user mask sleep.target suspend.target

so that you do not disable it systemwide. It sounds like you only need to do it for suspend/sleep, not necessarily for hibernate. Remember to restart systemd. If that fails, try systemwide (without "--user"). If all fails, your safe bet option is to switch to runlevel 3 and then start X from the command line with `startx`. For the latter you will have to set the SUID bit for /usr/bin/Xorg:

chmod u+s /usr/bin/Xorg

See: https://www.x.org/wiki/FAQMiscellaneous/

You will also need to set the WINDOWMANAGER environment variable to point to TDE.

Let us know what works.

Gianluca