Re: wrong timestamp - new thread - OT

On Tuesday 27 July 2021 10:38:57 Edward wrote:
> On 7/26/21 11:07 PM, Michael wrote:
> > On Monday 26 July 2021 07:39:09 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> >> I am still mystified about why the timestamps are apparently
> >> out-of-sequence, regardless who responded to whom. Did it really take
> >> nearly two days for an email to be delivered?
> >
> > Ah, yeah it did!  Short answer is it got hung up internal to gmx.net for
> > those ~two days.  Below are the very stripped down headers:
>
> According to RFC 5321, section 4.5.4.1:
> > Retries continue until the message is transmitted or the sender gives
> >     up; the give-up time generally needs to be at least*4-5 days*.  It
> > MAY be appropriate to set a shorter maximum number of retries for non-
> > delivery notifications and equivalent error messages than for standard
> > messages.  The parameters to the retry algorithm MUST be configurable.
>
> 4-5 days would appear to be the allowable amount of time to deliver an
> e-mail, before the server bounces it back to the sender.
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.4.1

Yes, I do know that emails *can* be delayed, and it doesn't mean anything
especially weird or suspicious is going on. Sometimes those discrepancies
like out-of-sequence time stamps mean nothing, and lead to nowhere.

Most of my emails, sent or received, take only a few seconds to be delivered,
no matter how far apart we may be in physical space; emails are seldom
delayed more than a few minutes. On rare occasions I have had them arrive the
next day, but never more than 24 hours.

When such delays happen repeatedly, especially with the same person, or the
same mailing list, then I start to wonder if there is some common factor
involved.

In the earlier occurrence on the TDE mailing list, I believe it was one Dan
Youngquist whose emails were regularly out-of-sequence, so that he always
appeared to be writing from about two hours in the future; and it wasn't just
one or two emails, but several -- enough to notice. As I recall, something in
his system was misconfigured (maybe UTC/local settings?) so that he appeared
to be in a different time zone.

Anyway, unless somebody has a startling revelation that will change
everything, then my curiosity, at least, is satisfied. This most likely was
due to some ordinary, mundane cause. I did not foresee that it would become
such an involved discussion, but it's all good.

Bill