Re: login keyring

Hi Phlippe,

Thanks for the explanation. I have a couple of questions below.

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021, Mavridis Philippe wrote:

I think the Google Earth installation is not unrelated. I remember experiencing something like this on my systems, not only with Google Earth (e.g. Vivaldi, Skype for Linux) and the culprit was apparently the Gnome Keyring library (a GNOME analog of TDE Wallets, but there is only one wallet and its password is the user's password) which is used by some software to store keys, etc.

Google Earth seems to store some API-specific data it uses to connect to Google servers in the Keyring.

Does this not cause any security issues? I mean does the password not get stored on a google server? Also, would I enter the same password as my user account? I normally do not setup a TDE Wallet or GNOME keyring.

Gianluca

Normally the keyring gets automatically unlocked on logon without the user even noticing. Sometimes it doesn't. This happens when the appropriate service (don't remember which) is not started upon startup. Then, the first time access is requested by one of the applications, this prompt shows. It certainly seems like this happened in your case.

Hope this helps to find the solution.

--
Mavridis Phlippe

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.