Re: Make it stop!

said Gene Heskett via tde-users:
| On Monday 28 June 2021 21:08:05 Borg Labs wrote:
| > On Monday 28 June 2021 07:34:42 pm dep via tde-users wrote:
| > > Greets, folks . . .
| > >
| > > This is a weird one. I unfortunately have the RAW-handling photo
| > > application LightZone as forst in my RAW file association, so when I
| > > accidentally clicked on a RAW file today it opened. (It didn't open
| > > that file, btw, because LightZone is flaky and opens what it had
| > > open the last time it was run, just one of several reasons I really
| > > don't like it.) I tried to close LightZone, but it wouldn't close. I
| > > did 'killall lightzone', but nope, still there. Mouse arrow turns to
| > > point-left-horizontally when I enter the window. Top reports no
| > > LightZone processes running. I have deleted LightZone and its
| > > configuration files. Still no joy.
| > >
| > > I have a *huge* file copy underway -- should take the next 10 hours
| > > or so. So I'd just as soon not reboot.
| > >
| > > Oddly, I can still moved the window around, maximize it, minimize it
| > > -- just not close it entirely. It seems to have just enough aslive
| > > that I can't get a "window not responding" error. Nothing inside the
| > > window, which is to say in the program itself, responds at all.
| > >
| > > Whatcha think?
| > >
| > > Any idea how to kill it?
| > >
| > > I've never encountered such a thing before.
| > > --
| > > dep
| >
| > Ok you have a zombie exe. Here's what I do under your situation.
| > Open konq as root, go to the lightzone binary and rename it .old
| > then kill the app. It shouldn't respawn after that.
| >
| > Let me know if it works for you,
| >
| > Kate
|
| Another way is to open another shell, and launch a root session of htop
| as it will usually show the runaway program as using 100% of a core, and
| being a root session, can kill the errant process. Since I do lots of
| off the wall stuff on this machine, I keep a root copy of htop running
| in the first shell tab of 10 on workspace 0 as the first thing I start
| after a reboot. You will probably have to install it as its not part of
| the normal install.  That and mc are (IMO) your 2 best secret weapons
| ever.
|
| Cheers, Gene Heskett

That's a way to do something, but not this. The whole point was that there
was no evidence of the thing running except for its presence on the
desktop, inside a normal TDE desktop container -- it could be minimized,
maximized, moved -- but the application, such as it was, was entirely
unresponsive. Nor did it appear in processes. There was nothing taking 100
percent of a core.

I should have suspected java, but I'd forgotten that the reason I'd
hesitated to install LigtZone was its involvement with java, the
flashplayer of languages. (I think that LibreOffice is likewise infected
to some extent, is it not?)

Through an unexplained update to ProtonMail Bridge (that, sadly, did not
involve any response from their tech support), I can now use KMail to get
(and, if this goes, send) email once again.

Now I need to figure out what foul application thought it was a good idea
without asking to add a sidecar xml file to every one of the ~20,000 RAW
files I just copied from an external drive. Because I want to find it and
give it a thrashing it won't soon forget.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://www.athensnews.com/opinion/columns/the_view_from_mudsock_heights/