Re: Make it stop!

On Monday 28 June 2021 21:08:05 Borg Labs wrote:

> On Monday 28 June 2021 07:34:42 pm dep via tde-users wrote:
> > Greets, folks . . .
> >
> > This is a weird one. I unfortunately have the RAW-handling photo
> > application LightZone as forst in my RAW file association, so when I
> > accidentally clicked on a RAW file today it opened. (It didn't open
> > that file, btw, because LightZone is flaky and opens what it had
> > open the last time it was run, just one of several reasons I really
> > don't like it.) I tried to close LightZone, but it wouldn't close. I
> > did 'killall lightzone', but nope, still there. Mouse arrow turns to
> > point-left-horizontally when I enter the window. Top reports no
> > LightZone processes running. I have deleted LightZone and its
> > configuration files. Still no joy.
> >
> > I have a *huge* file copy underway -- should take the next 10 hours
> > or so. So I'd just as soon not reboot.
> >
> > Oddly, I can still moved the window around, maximize it, minimize it
> > -- just not close it entirely. It seems to have just enough aslive
> > that I can't get a "window not responding" error. Nothing inside the
> > window, which is to say in the program itself, responds at all.
> >
> > Whatcha think?
> >
> > Any idea how to kill it?
> >
> > I've never encountered such a thing before.
> > --
> > dep
>
> Ok you have a zombie exe. Here's what I do under your situation.
> Open konq as root, go to the lightzone binary and rename it .old
> then kill the app. It shouldn't respawn after that.
>
> Let me know if it works for you,
>
> Kate

Another way is to open another shell, and launch a root session of htop
as it will usually show the runaway program as using 100% of a core, and
being a root session, can kill the errant process. Since I do lots of
off the wall stuff on this machine, I keep a root copy of htop running
in the first shell tab of 10 on workspace 0 as the first thing I start
after a reboot. You will probably have to install it as its not part of
the normal install.  That and mc are (IMO) your 2 best secret weapons
ever.
> Web mail archive available at
> https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trinity
>desktop.org