Re: BINGO! 64-bit!

On Monday 26 April 2021 03:21:41 Felix Miata wrote:
> William Morder composed on 2021-04-26 02:58 (UTC-0700):
> > I believed we had already got most information on the CPU, but here goes.
> > inxi -C
> > CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Pentium Dual E2200 bits: 64
> > type: MCP L2 cache: 1024 KiB Speed: 1300 MHz min/max: 1200/2200 MHz Core
> > speeds (MHz): 1: 1791 2: 2098
>
> Clearly it's a 64 bit:
> <https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33925/intel-pentium-p
>rocessor-e2200-1m-cache-2-20-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html>
>
> Have you tried clearing CMOS, or upgrading BIOS? There is such a thing
> as BIOS corruption, which clearing might help. Rather than a quick clear,
> I'd take the 2032 battery out overnight with the PS unplugged, then do
> the jumper clear after putting the battery back in
>
> That CPU will work in a lot of newer motherboards that would provide a
> graphics upgrade from 950 to something better. If looking, try for a
> G41 or G45 chipset board. Lesser chipsets better than 945G include 965G,
> G31 & G33. Some G41 boards use DDR3 or DDR3+DDR2 RAM, while all earlier
> Socket LGA775 are DDR2. If you are using a PCIe graphics card, then P
> models instead of G would also suffice.

Eventually I will either upgrade this, or build a new box, or both; but with
the prospect of moving on my mind, I don't want to accumulate yet more junk
that must be moved. So if I can get this thing to work as 64-bit, without
adding more to my burden, that would be best.

By the way, this did start out as a strictly TDE-Trinity question: namely, Why
does tork-trinity fail to start privoxy? I can't get privoxy to start, no
matter what I've tried. (I've also been having some other security issues;
but I get worn out trying to fight against these tendencies or problems that
keep repeating themselves. Better to dig out the root cause.) Then Michael
recommended that I try Whonix, and if I do that I might as well do it right
with Qubes+Whonix, if possible, but that means I need a 64-bit machine.

So I did not intend to make these threads so diffuse and meandering, just that
one question led to another.

Thanks for the recommendations, as well as helping to look under the hood.

Bill