Re: BINGO! 64-bit!

On Monday 26 April 2021 02:16:11 Felix Miata wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users composed on 2021-04-26 01:47 (UTC-0700):
> > P.S. However, I did just discover this nifty little command, lshw, and
> > here is the output. (There's actually much more information, but it isn't
> > pertinent to the CPU and motherboard.)
>
> The CPU part isn't relevant? Why did you leave it off? I lost track of the
> reason for this thread a while back.
>
> I have 3 Dells using that same 945 chipset family and thus 950 graphics too
> on 2 of the 3, the other with an ATI card in its PCIe slot. I also have an
> HP with 945/950, but it has an NVidia card installed.

Sorry if it's unclear; I am a little out of my depth, but trying to catch up.

CPU and motherboard information are to determine if my system is really 32-bit
(as "it" always tells me), or if I can make it run as 64-bit. It seems like
all the information I'm getting says it's 64-bit, but whenever I've tried to
install a 64-bit system, I get a message that says "wrong architecture".

I want to install Qubes+Whonix (or some combination with Whonix). Both Qubes
and Whonix are now 64-bit only, unless I compile from source, but that is too
much bother for what I want. It would be easier just to buy a new CPU and/or
motherboard. But I want to hold off on any more purchases (and more clutter)
until I can get myself moved into a bigger place.

In any case, 32-bit machines are clearly on their way out, and I really ought
to get with it. I wanted 64-bit to begin with, but 32-bit was all I could
find, when I was buying parts to build this present machine.

So the question is: Do I really have a 64-bit machine here, as it seems; and
if so, why am I forced to run it as 32-bit?

Thanks Felix. Any help is appreciated.

Bill