Re: BINGO! 64-bit!

On Sunday 25 April 2021 16:06:10 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2021 14:01:30 -0700
>
> William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > There is a small possibility that you have it installed in a mobo with
> > > some weird incompatible BIOS, especially if the mobo is older than the
> > > processor.  Used motherboards with the right socket type seem to be
> > > common and not too expensive, though.
> > >
> > > E. Liddell
> >
> > Okay, so one thing at a time. Now to determine if I need to get a new
> > motherboard. Money isn't so much the problem any more, but I would keep
> > this one if it can be made to run 64-bit. When I get into a new place,
> > then I will build or buy new stuff.
> >
> > So, is there some way to find out if I have such a "weird incompatible
> > BIOS"?
>
> We need a name and version number for the BIOS, I guess.  Or else
> the make and model of the motherboard.
>
> The BIOS name should show up on screen at the beginning of the
> boot sequence.  Version number may be there too, or somewhere in
> the BIOS configuration screens.
>
> The motherboard's information might be in the BIOS configurator as
> well, or you might be able to find it by opening the case and checking for
> information silkscreened on the board itself.
>
> That's the best I can do.  We've gone somewhat beyond my areas of
> expertise here.  To be honest, I'm not 100% sure the combination of
> a 32-bit BIOS and a 64-bit processor is even possible, but it seems
> like a good idea to rule it out.
>
> E. Liddell

Awaiting my next reboot to check out the BIOS. I do thank yourself and Michael
for all the help, as I realize that this has ventured outside what is
strictly a TDE-Trinity problem; although, of course, it started with the
question of why tork-trinity cannot start privoxy as usual.

Regarding computer expertise, I am the one who is always playing catch-up to
everybody else who participates in the list. I am one of those
vaguely "creative types" (or so I hear), and have no head for either
technology or business.

I did take some computer classes in high school, long long ago (maybe
1973-1974?). We all studied technical manuals for a few weeks, then punched
holes in IBM cards. Like everybody else, I ran my punch card through a sort
of conveyor-belt sort of thing, and mine successfully turned on a light bulb,
so I got passing marks. However, I confess that I could not foresee how such
an advanced technology would ever be useful to me, as it would be easier and
quicker just to walk across the room and turn on the light.

Big thanks to everybody who puts up with my endless questions!

Bill