Re: TDE on bullseye RC1

On Thursday 22 April 2021 12:36:56 Stefan Krusche via tde-users wrote:
> Hi Gene,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 22. April 2021 schrieb Gene Heskett via tde-users:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I need the address line to put in the
> > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/TDE.list file to get TDE for a fresh bullseye
> > install as I intend to update this stretch install on a fresh 500GB
> > SSD sometime in the next couple weeks.
> >
> > If its available for bullseye yet, if not and there is a showstopper,
> > I'd appreciate knowing that too.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Inst
>ructions says this:
>
> "Additionally, unofficial but well-trusted rolling builds are available
> for a broader set of versions, including 11.x bullseye and sid.
>
> These are built and maintained by Sl�k Banko.
>
>     Preliminary Stable Builds - rolling version of current stable branch
> (maintenance releases)
>     Preliminary Testing Builds - rolling version of main development
> branch (major/minor releases)"
>
> And there is a link to
> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Preliminary_Stable_Builds where the
> instructions are to configure apt, for example:
> deb http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/deb/trinity-sb
> <your-distribution> deps-r14 main-r14
> where <your-distribution> would be "bullseye" then.
>
> I don't know anything about showstoppers, though. I still am on beowulf.
>
> HTH
>
> Kind regards, Stefan

Devuan Beowulf has been very stable for me; and now that the issue with
ldap-heimdal-kerberos has been resolved (see other thread), everything works
without a hitch. I will assume that Debian Buster is also pretty stable,
although myself I have preferred to avoid the abominable systemd and stick
with init on Devuan. (Devuan is now more Debian, philosophically speaking,
than Debian itself.)

I don't know where Gene stands on that question of Debian systemd versus
Devuan init, but I'll leave that to himself to decide. As a fellow cranky
oldster, I don't care so much for change, and tend to stick with the
tried-and-true (hint, hint) such as Devuan init.

The only possible "showstopper" that I would mention is that the wireless
networking has changed slightly. Wherever this detail matters in your setup,
remember that wlan0 in versions Jessie and earlier becomes wlx00027288d1fd
for myself; I don't know if the characters following wlx are the same for
everybody or just me, but you need to get that part right.

It was a big headache when I tried to upgrade to Ascii(=Stretch), and in fact
I never did get wireless networking system with it, but kept falling back to
Jessie until Jessie was no longer supported. It was a little messy upgrading
straight from Jessie to Beowulf(=Buster) because I was skipping over
Ascii/Stretch, but after a few weeks of ironing out the wrinkles, it runs
better than Jessie ever did, and I've been running Beowulf with almost no
issues since at least a year or more past.

Bill