Re: debug installed TDE

Hi Michele!

Anno domini 2021 Fri, 22 Jan 10:20:46 +0900
 Michele Calgaro via tde-users scripsit:
> On 2021/01/22 01:48 AM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I'd like to get rid of system:/media/ and media:/ . My plan is to modify some tdeio libraries of my current TDE installation to do this, but this is where I hit a wall: Is there a way to get a minimal copy of code of the currently installed TDE - namely the tdeio part - build a modified version so that I can just copy the binaries over the current installed versions - without building and installing the whole TDE and installing it?
> >
> > Maybe somebody can put me on the right track here.
> >

> Hi Nik,
> not sure what are your reasons to get rid of system:/media/ and media:/ protocols. In any case, those are deeply
> integrated in many places (tdelibs, tdebase, dolphin, k3b, krusader, soundkonverter, digikam, kaffeine, amarok and more)
> so it will take quite a bit of work.

I see media:/ and system:/media/ break these days. IMO the cause is not in TDE but in the GNOMEisch entanglement. e.g.: I use teminator as terminal. Version 0.97 (from jessie, GTK2) works perfect. pressing <F4> on a folder of a usb-thumbrive media:/sdb or system:/media/sdb brings up terminator in that specific real mountpoint /media/F37B-2EB9. Version 1.91 with GTK3 pops up in my home directory. Same thing happens for gimp, libreoffice ... you name it. Basicly for anything not GTK2 and not TDE, "open with ..." is broken due to this behaviour. So media:/ and system:/media start to really get in my way. Not to stress the fact that these urls are not intuitive to the user any more. "Where is my file that's on the thumbdrive?" is a regilar question, as drag&drop from konqueror to other applications is broken, too, and there is no media:/ outside konqueror.

My plan is to force a rewrite for urls from system:/media/XYZ and media:/XYZ to the real mountpoint and pass that back to the caller of tdeio_media.so or tde_system.so . There are some shell scripts that do stuff, too and then there is tdeio_media_mounthelper, that looks to me like a place to intercept.

I might be wrong - and please korrect me if I am - but the system:/media and media:/ urls are handled by tdeio_media.so or tde_system.so from anywhere inside TDE. Or are there parallel implementations all over the place?

Oh, debugging: Where goes the output from kdDebug() or kdDebug(1219) ? I think anything from "printf(...); fflush(stdout);" goes to ~/.xsession-errors, but I'm not sure about that, either.

> Since you are using a deb based distro, a relatively easy way to test locally is to download the source code of the
> respective module (including the packaging info), put them together, then run "debian/rules binary" to build a first
> version of the packages. Then make changes, go to obj-x86.../tdeio folder, run "make && make install" and this will
> compile and install the new code to your system. Same for the other modules.
> Keep in mind you are actively changing your system, so if you do something very wrong you can end up with a broken system.
> If you don't want to do that, you can create deb packages with "debian/rules binary" each time and install them in a
> test box machine.

"debian/rules binary" ?  OK, I used debhelper and it looks like it rebuilds the whole thing at each call.

Nik