Re: how to force TDE colors in non-TDE apps?

On Monday 18 January 2021 12:08:31 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:01:54 -0800
>
> Non-TDE applications will mostly be using one of three widget toolkits:
> GTK2, GTK3, or QT5.
>
> The easiest way I've found to theme QT5 is to use qt5ct.  Your distro may
> have it packaged, or get it from https://sourceforge.net/projects/qt5ct/ .
>
> GTK2 and GTK3 can be themed by using gtk-qt-engine and/or
> gtk3-qt-engine , which are optional TDE packages.  They're known to
> cause problems with some systems, though.  Try gtk3-qt-engine first.
>
> The other option for theming GTK2 and GTK3 is to edit some text files.
> The theme file for GTK2 is .gtkrc-2.0, in the user's home directory, and
> it uses a proprietary format.  GTK3 uses one or more CSS files located in
> ~/.config/gtk-3.0/ .  Unfortunately, figuring out exactly what to do with
> these files is like pulling hen's teeth, or at least I was never able to
> find any documentation with the list of GTK widget names on it.  I had to
> hunt through a bunch of downloaded styles to get things sort-of working,
> and GTK3 is, in addition, a moving target to some extent.
>
> I have my own hand-edited GTK2 and GTK3 theming files (set up for
> white text on black/dark blue) that I can offer as examples if you need
> them, although both styles are slightly flawed.

> E. Liddell

Yes, that's what I recall. Would you please share it again? I did save it, but
when my hard drive crashed a few months back, I lost an incredible amount of
materials -- I am still trying to cope -- and among it were the css themes
that you had shared earlier.

I used those as starts to make my own. A little homework, together with using
yours for my cribs, and I am almost done already.

;-)

To do it properly will take more research on css, but for now I just want to
fix the immediate problem.

Bill