Re: how to force TDE colors in non-TDE apps?

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:01:54 -0800
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I did try to accomplish this by going through the Trinity Control Center /
> Appearance / Colors, but nothing happens to my non-TDE apps, so far as I can
> tell. (Actually, I am only guessing, from what I remember; my TCC screen has
> been frozen now for a couple hours. See attachment.)
>
> Some of my apps refuse to change colors, even though they used to behave like
> I want (in Jessie, that is, before I upgraded to Devuan Beowulf). I seem to
> recall that E.Liddell, or maybe Nik, offered some css tricks to do something
> like this? The main thing is that I don't want to look at a white screen, but
> I prefer to keep my own color scheme, not to use one of those ready-made
> themes.

Non-TDE applications will mostly be using one of three widget toolkits:
GTK2, GTK3, or QT5.

The easiest way I've found to theme QT5 is to use qt5ct.  Your distro may
have it packaged, or get it from https://sourceforge.net/projects/qt5ct/ .

GTK2 and GTK3 can be themed by using gtk-qt-engine and/or
gtk3-qt-engine , which are optional TDE packages.  They're known to
cause problems with some systems, though.  Try gtk3-qt-engine first.

The other option for theming GTK2 and GTK3 is to edit some text files.
The theme file for GTK2 is .gtkrc-2.0, in the user's home directory, and
it uses a proprietary format.  GTK3 uses one or more CSS files located in
~/.config/gtk-3.0/ .  Unfortunately, figuring out exactly what to do with these
files is like pulling hen's teeth, or at least I was never able to find any
documentation with the list of GTK widget names on it.  I had to hunt
through a bunch of downloaded styles to get things sort-of working, and
GTK3 is, in addition, a moving target to some extent.

I have my own hand-edited GTK2 and GTK3 theming files (set up for
white text on black/dark blue) that I can offer as examples if you need
them, although both styles are slightly flawed.

E. Liddell