Boot times [OT] Way OT.

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 04:49:13PM -0500, BorgLabs - Kate Draven wrote:
>
> > PS 30 secs or less on mine as well. Interesting thing, a mate demanded a
side
> > by side (well using the same computer, mine) of win10 boot up vs Ali's
roll
> > of PCLOS aka Big Daddy. BD booted, in less then 30s, to desktop where it
took
> > win10 an entire 2.4 mins average to boot to desktop. It also took up
massive
> > amounts of initial storage space. He's now only using win10 for gaming.
He's
> > now "one of us!"
>
> (Aside: depending on how you are comparing storage requirements, some of
> that space may be a complete full backup of the Windows install.)
>
> Windows boot and login times are weird. I work part-time for two
> companies that both provide me with a Win10 PC to use. One of them boots
> up in about a minute, and logs on instantly. The other also boots up in
> about a minute, but takes about three minutes to log in, and even then
> there's obviously still stuff going on in the background because
> performance is pretty horrible for another two or three minutes.
>
> The two machines are roughly equivalent in hardware specs, and once the
> second one settles down, performance is more or less the same as the
> first.
>

> --
> Steve
Hi Steve, I can understand the differences.

This comparison didn't allow for a win10 install backup. This was purely just
the OS and we removed all background nonesense, disable all unneeded
services, disable updates (the comparison was done with and without updates,
no real dif). We used a custom install (and stock). Stock was almost 32GBs.
We were able to reduce it to about 21GBs. Big Daddy's initial install is
about 10 or less GBs. Fully loaded or what I can the insane package install
is 48.6GBs.

The test was done on an i9 18 core Intel with 256 gigs of ram, 1300 watt PS,
Seagate 1TB Barracuda Pro SSD. We disconnected all hard drives save for the
OS/boot drive.

The best boot to desktop time we were able to get was 2 mins some odd secs
with minimal background items loading. Just what was needed.

Best for Big Daddy was 28 secs average. With LOTS extra of stuff loading.

We tried to give win10 all the chances in the world.

It's likely the differences you're seeing are do to some form of
customization? It may be the faster one has some kind of boot streamlining.
If so I'd like to know. Could be handy.

Investigate, the collect requires this information!

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Kate