Re: WTH? I can't find an MP4 player for local files, what am I missing?

On Thursday 07 January 2021 04:58:56 Steven D'Aprano via tde-users wrote:

> Hmm, interesting. If you rename the file to remove the ".mp4"
> extension, and then run the "file" command, what does it report?
>
> Technically, you may not even need to remove the .mp4 extension.
>
> I wonder whether the file is:
>
> - not actually an mp4, but just close enough to one to fool mplayer
> into thinking it is (probably unlikely);
>
> - or more likely, corrupted.
>
> Can you re-download the video and check whether it is the same?

Not likely since Intel has proably cleaned house 5 year+ back, it is a
long since discontinued motherboard. Over a decade old now.

> (Running diff on the old copy and the new will tell you if there are
> any differences.)
>
> If you have a URL for the original, I'm willing to download it myself
> and see if I can get it to play.

But your reference to using file on them gives odd results indeed!

root@coyote:dwhelper$ file "Intel® Desktop Board D525MW — Product
Guides.mp4"
Intel® Desktop Board D525MW — Product Guides.mp4: PDF document, version
1.4
root@coyote:dwhelper$ file "Intel® Desktop Board D525MW — Quick Reference
Poster.mp4"
Intel® Desktop Board D525MW — Quick Reference Poster.mp4: PDF document,
version 1.5
root@coyote:dwhelper$ file "sample_1920x1080.mp4"
sample_1920x1080.mp4: ISO Media, MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]

So its no wonder at all why mplayer fails. I should rename them and see
if evince can render. Which it does flawlessly, about 130 pages of them.

And Copyright 2010...

Thank you very much. file has earned its keep.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis