Re: WTH? I can't find an MP4 player for local files, what am I missing? - P.S. CORRECTION

On Tuesday 05 January 2021 10:53:26 Gene Heskett via tde-users wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I can't find a working mp4 player.
>
> Debian Stretch install, uptodate AO this morning.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

I agree with the others, plenty of choices available, but I mostly use
smplayer, and keep a few others available in case of problems. I only ever
use VLC now for playing actual DVDs or the iso files of videos. And there are
many others, also good.

Echoing deloptes: Why Stretch? I notice that you tend to stick with older
releases. (I seem to recall that you were running Wheezy on some machine ...)
But Devuan Beowulf (= Buster) works great for me, at least as well as my old
Jessie machine; and I never did warm up to Ascii/Stretch.

Like yourself, I imagine, I hate change, hate the need to rebuild my system
that was working just fine. But once that release is no longer supported, it
doesn't make much sense to keep using it for years beyond its security
updates; whereas Buster/Beowulf LTS will be supported for -- how long is
it? -- 5-7 more years.

Bill

P.S. I made a mistake and said Beowulf = Stretch, whereas I meant Buster.
Sorry about that. It's not quite 4 in the afternoon, and this night owl is
just now having my first cup of morning coffee.