Re: WTH? I can't find an MP4 player for local files, what am I missing?

On Tuesday 05 January 2021 18:36:00 William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 January 2021 10:53:26 Gene Heskett via tde-users wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I can't find a working mp4 player.
> >
> > Debian Stretch install, uptodate AO this morning.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> I agree with the others, plenty of choices available, but I mostly use
> smplayer, and keep a few others available in case of problems. I only
> ever use VLC now for playing actual DVDs or the iso files of videos.
> And there are many others, also good.
>
> Echoing deloptes: Why Stretch? I notice that you tend to stick with
> older releases. (I seem to recall that you were running Wheezy on some
> machine ...) But Devuan Beowulf (= Stretch) works great for me, at
> least as well as my old Jessie machine; and I never did warm up to
> Ascii/Stretch.
>
> Like yourself, I imagine, I hate change, hate the need to rebuild my
> system that was working just fine. But once that release is no longer
> supported, it doesn't make much sense to keep using it for years
> beyond its security updates; whereas Buster/Beowulf LTS will be
> supported for -- how long is it? -- 5-7 more years.
>
> Bill

I've been starting to think about it Bill, but losing my wife to COPD on
Pearl Harbor Day has interfered with my giddyup. But now I'm still
trying to clean up the final stuff, insurance and bank accounts etc, all
by meself. That and getting used to rattling around in this house by
myself. So I'm not inclined to do the upgrade, and recover all my stuff
until I can see a few months down the road to do it. Scheduled for
another ticker inspection in a few days, which will probably stretch
into a session in the cath lab. A 30% ticker already running on a
pacemaker needs TLC IOW.

And I can't believe SS.gov, tried to setup an account on their web page,
gave them my phone number and my email, confirmed my address. But they
are going to MAIL me the verification code, estimated at 10 days. What
the hell are they thinking?  And I am not going anywhere near the office
25 miles up the superslab because the last time I was there 19 years to
get my SS started, they kept my belt because it had a metal buckle and
my glasses for the same reason. so I'm in there, holding up my pants,
and blind enough I can't read the forms they want me to sign.

That is so NOT going to ever happen again. All I want to do is change the
auto-deposit account number and they are making it efing impossible.
Same at the bank, gotta make an appointment at least a day in advance.
Can you imagine an old fart like me with smoke coming out of his ears?

Thanks Bill.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis