Re: Trinity Trouble - Konqueror?

> Hi everyone.
>
> Unfortunately, I was forced to remove my installation of
> Trinity/PCLinuxOS this morning, due to Firefox and Thunderbird not
> working correctly. Specifically, Firefox was repeatedly asking to be the
> default browser, even as I previously selected it as the default. And
> Thunderbird, in the middle of all this, would no longer open links at
> all, deciding to automatically add a new 'account' relating to news and
> feeds.
>
> Both Vivaldi and Chromium were also installed as browsers, but once both
> of these were removed, Firefox and Thunderbird continued to exhibit the
> same behavior.
>
> Upon installing first Trinity/Ubuntu 20.04.1 and then Lubuntu 20.04 LTS,
> I was unable to get HPLIP (as hp-setup) with either OS to communicate
> with my HP printer, which was USB-connected.
>
> Final attempt, was to install Debian (10, LXQt). Fortunately, this was
> able to detect the printer using hp-setup, however neither hp-systray
> nor the HPLIP Toolbox (GUI) will launch.
>
> I am extremely hesitant to install Trinity on top of this Debian
> installation, because I am afraid that with Konqueror included as the
> default file manager, I will have the same issues with Firefox and
> Thunderbird. I suspect that something with PCLOS may have changed,
> causing it to detect both Firefox and Konqueror as web browsers, instead
> of a web browser and a file manager. I don't know.
>
> I have been fiddling with this for the past seven hours now. I just want
> it to work.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/etc.

Ok as a Big Daddy (PCLOS) user. I have some suggestions.

I don't use the pclos package for FF or TB. I download from Mozilla directly
and use those. Then go to preferences and manually check the default settings
for both.

I use a lot of HP printers. Great printers but they have their eccentricities.
Try leaving the printers on during install. Or starting the HP tools getting
to the printer detection dialog, then turn the printer on, off and on again.
Make sure the USB is a good one.

You can also use system-config-printer, which, IMO, is the best printer setup
tool. The only time is doesn't always seem to work is when it's a HP network
printer.

I hope the above offers you something. However, wait for input from the rest
of the collective.

Be patient.

Kate