Re: Migration of services - 10. primary archive

On Mon December 21 2020 09:40:43 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> Ignore the NVMe host from earlier, they’re nice people, but they don't
> customize their plans.
>
> If this meets the needs for a mirror:
>
> http://turnkeyinternet.net/linux-cpanel-web-hosting/
>
> C10 cPanel Hosting
> $2.49per month (it’s $90 for 3 years.)
>
> I’ll go talk with them and see if we fit their ‘Unlimited’ using these
> specs.

Generally "web hosting" plans only allow you to run pre-approved software.

There's a lot listed so I may have missed it but I didn't notice ssh server,
rsync server, or bash scripting.

> Max HD:  800GB
> Max Data:  3TB/month
> Pipe Needs:  50Mbps *
>
> * They say Gbps, but does a mirror needs that?  If not, let them cap data
> rates for the storage size?
>
> As we’ve had a lot of different numbers thrown around, Mike/Slávek please
> verify the above.
>
> Ref:
> 50 Mbit/s = ~16 TB per month
>
> # # #
>
> Alternatively:
>
> In March we’re switching to T-Mobile 5G internet at our house and doing
> away with cable TV entirely.  To support that, I’m going to build a ~30TB
> file server for the house.
>
> * 1U Xeon server ($150) w/ 30TB of drives ($160), plus other junk (~$100).
>
> The file server certainly won’t be ‘fast,’ but the up/down bandwidth is
> 100+ Mbps.
>
> I will have to look into T-Mobile’s TOS, but with the plethora of Plex
> servers out their I don’t really see any issues.
>
> The other thing would be the use of a dynamic DNS, but would the mirror
> software in use by TDE care or have issues with that?

Dynamic DNS is not good for servers as it leads to a trade off between
excessive DNS traffic and temporary failures.

We're doing OK for mirrors right now so you might want to focus on your
new file server and later if you feel like creating a mirror you could
do so and once you have it working reliably contact Slávek to add you
to the list.  FWIW I customize our installs to always pull from our
own mirror so this way I test it and get a heads-up if it's misbehaving.

I would suggest that if you get into mirroring TDE you join the TDE
devel mailing list so we can discuss mirroring there.
Best,

--Mike