Re: Amrecover hangs after restore

On Sunday 20 December 2020 15:07:26 Michael via tde-users wrote:

> On Sunday 20 December 2020 11:02:15 am Gene Heskett via tde-users wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 December 2020 10:50:44 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> > > On Saturday 19 December 2020 07:39:34 pm Gene Heskett via
> > > tde-users

> > > sudo NOT su...  Read the first link, they go together...  AFIK,
> > > you'll need to reformat the whole command for sudo (as it is not
> > > the same format as su).
> > >
> > > Don't run as root either!  Run it as plain amanda, even if you
> > > have to stick it in a test script and add it to amanda cron to
> > > kick it off.
> >
> > No, since they've built a paranoid security wall between me and
> > anybody else, I'll run it as me.
>
> Well, that is sucky :(
>
> For the display issues earlier, try one of these:
>
> export DISPLAY=:0
> export DISPLAY=:0.0
>
> Under your username do:
>
> echo $DISPLAY
>
> and I’m guessing use that.  Mine is “:0”, the :0.0 was used in a cron
> entry itself*, so probably not the one to use.
>
> This is from an old bash script I ran in root cron that needed to also
> start something as myself.  It was on a Ubuntu 14.04 box, it’s Debian
> based but might not be the exact syntax anymore.
>
>   export DISPLAY=:0
>   sudo -H -u michael bash -c '/usr/bin/progname &'
>
> As long as you have the right sudoers entry (it looked like you had
> way overkill, but it should work), running the same in the amanda
> script should work.

That entry, previously shown in this thread was an sudoers killing syntax error, so its been removed. thanks to having
more than one root session going at the time.

> I’ll guess this should be the full syntax of the
> lines you need:
>
>   export DISPLAY=:0

probably not needed, these scripts normally only send emails.

>   sudo -H -u gene bash -c '/opt/trinity/bin/dcop kmail KMailIface
> pauseBackgroundJobs'

how about, since the commands are already defined above it:
sudo -H -u gene bash -c "$Cmdholdit" ? etc. or "$Cmdresume" at the end?

>   >>do backup stuff<<
>
>   sudo -H -u gene bash -c '/opt/trinity/bin/dcop kmail KMailIface
> resumeBackgroundJobs'
>
> HTH,
> Michael

But it doesn't work, its asking for amanda's pw and there isn't one.

Here is what I did:
root@coyote:~$ su amanda
amanda@coyote:/root$ echo $Cmdresume

amanda@coyote:/root$ Cmdresume="/opt/trinity/bin/dcop kmail KMailIface resumeBackgroundJobs"
amanda@coyote:/root$ echo $Cmdresume
/opt/trinity/bin/dcop kmail KMailIface resumeBackgroundJobs
amanda@coyote:/root$ sudo -H -u gene bash -c $Cmdresume

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

    #1) Respect the privacy of others.
    #2) Think before you type.
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for amanda:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for amanda:
So I'll just do it from my own crontab, holding the background stuff
for an hour 31 while amanda is running.
Like this:
59 1 * * * /opt/trinity/bin/dcop kmail KMailIface pauseBackgroundJobs
30 3 * * * /opt/trinity/bin/dcop kmail KMailIface resumeBackgroundJobs

And we'll see if that works.

> * Cron entry was like:
> export DISPLAY=:0.0 ; /home/michael/common/bin/bashscript.sh

> Web mail archive available at
> https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trinity
>desktop.org

Cheers, Gene Heskett