Re: Migration of services - 8. crash reports storage

On Sunday 13 December 2020 07:21:32 am Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
> > Exactly. I assume it will save us work: we won't have to invent the
> > integration of a "crash report system" with TGW, we won't have to design
> > and create a UI for a crash report system, we'll get it all
> > automatically. And at the same time we will get other advantages: there
> > it will be possible to assign a crash report to a branch, set a
> > milestone, it will be possible to refer from / to other issues and pull
> > requests, there it will be possible to add comments - ask for more
> > information, discuss
> > solutions,... we'll get it all automatically.
>
> And we can switch it even without reaching out to Tim! :-)
> Cheers
>    Michele

I'll make the suggestion that the crash report doesn't even initiate on the
user's PC unless they have whatever (tool/library?) is needed to send a crash
report.

Why?  It's always bugged me that something TDE crashes, a popup on my system
gets initiated, but since I don't have XYZ installed the crash popup then
tells me, "Never mind, I can't send anything anyway."

I'll make the second suggestion that if whatever XYZ is, is small disk space
wise, then XYZ should be either default installed or added to install docs
as, "Install this to generate crash reports."

On the second suggestion, it'd probably be best to link to whatever doc
explains exactly what gets included in crash reports, what security issues
they might have, what information might be leaked, etc... *

* I've never turned them on as I've never seen anything assuring me my
clients' data won't be breached in some way.  As it is now, I sign so many
NDAs I can't take the risks.

Best,
Michael