Re: TDE, ALSA and a seperate mic ...

On Friday 27 November 2020 11:24:10 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

> Anno domini 2020 Fri, 27 Nov 10:55:10 -0500
>
>  Gene Heskett via tde-users scripsit:
> > On Friday 27 November 2020 10:27:10 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > > Hi all!
> > >
> > > I've an interesting problem: On my T14 the speakers are on hw:0
> > > and are linked to the speaker-led (led on: mute, led-off: unmute -
> > > looks like a hardware thingie as toggling the led toggles the
> > > speaker). And there's a ghost-mic on hw:0 that looks like a
> > > loopback device from PCM-out to sound-input.
> > >
> > > HDMI is on hw:1 and does nothing useful (no HDMI monitor
> > > attached).
> > >
> > > The onboard mic is hw:2,0 - it's offically recognised as "asc"
> > > without any controls (not even on/off). It's also detached from
> > > the mic led - I can toggle the LED but the mic stays on.
> > >
> > > Now kmix sees hw:0 and hw:1, but not hw:2 - and krec cannot
> > > capture sound. Audacity sees hw:0 + hw:1 + hw:2 and can record
> > > sound. Is there a trick to make TDE aware of that "asc" mic?
> > >
> > > Nik
> >
> > Those 3 letter agency's will luv that. Just one of the reasons I've
> > never had a mic cable in the same room. Watch your cell phone
> > battery life for the same reason, even this cheap trakfone can be
> > turned on to listen remotely. So its card was allowed to expire a
> > year back. No more problem.
> >

> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Definitly. I'm a bit worried about the "asc" without controls and the
> "mute-mic-led" beeing utter useless while the "mute-speaker-led" works
> as expected. Guess why? BTW, my smartphone is a Siemens C55. The
> smartest thing it can do is turning itself off at 10:00 pm :)
>
> Nik

My tracfone wasn't even that smart, but I found it turned on and
listening 3 times in about a month. The only clue was a low level beep
when the battery was about done. Since I wasn't married to it, I let the
battery run down and now the sim card has been expired for about 2
years. My wife of 31 years next week, has its twin I do keep paid up so
she can stay in touch at the rest home where she is in the hospice
program from COPD. The first time I found it live I thought I had
forgotten to turn it off, so I started logging it, 2nd time I had turned
it off an hour prior. 3rd time I said to hell with it, cuz the only
thing they might hear is me muttering to myself. I am living alone, and
my muttering is definitely NSFW.

Take care, stay safe and well Nik.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)