New Build Updates & Questions w/ Thanks

On Monday 23 November 2020, Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:
> On Monday 23 of November 2020 17:40:32 BorgLabs - Kate Draven wrote:
> > Ok update on the audio card question.
> >
> > Card chosen = SB Audigy RX - 100% natively supported. Please note this
> > card has an optical io port that is ON by default when first installed.
> > Turn it off to activate the 1/8 jacks. Otherwise there will be no signal
> > out or in (no audio/mic/ or linein).
> >
> > The sound quality is as good as the card it replaced which is now in
> > Gary's (brother from another mother) computer. He's having fun. Sadly,
> > the RX,  doesn't have a break out box like the Platinum does, so I have
> > to make one. No biggy, 3 wires in a project box.
> >
> > According to the headaches I gave out freely at Creative Labs and a
> > variety of other source. Any emu10kx chip is native on linux and,
> > infact, has better support than mac and windows. Yeeeah for us.
> >
> > So.. solved, concluded, moving on (if anyone has any question please
> > feel free to ask).
> >
> > Next...
> >
> > As I said I'm rebuilding me 20 year old machine.
> >
> > Here's a basics parts list.
> >
> > Asus Prime x299-a 2 (great bloody board)
> > 32G Corsair RAM (32K I think)
> > Intel Core i9-10980XE Cascade Lake 3.0 GHz LGA 2066
> >
> > The computer has 7 hard drives, 1 BR optical drive (the board has 8 sata
> > ports). 1 Seagate (sg) 500g ssd  root / boot drive (sda)
> > 1 sg 2tb ssd home (sdb)
> > 5 (ssd & spin drives) are work drives and archives for redudant backups.
> > Then there are 2 hotswap bays with can hold 2 drives a piece on an addon
> > pci-e sata controller.
> >
> > The board uses uefi. So, I'd like some advice on the sda drive setup.
> >
> > Here's what I was going for essentially.
> >
> > Swap = 32G (I know it seems like overkill but lots of 4k video work so
> > it helps plus need to hibernate).
> >
> > ESP partition of vfat32 / XX mbs. There's the first question, how big
> > should it be? Test install is using 32mb. No other OSes will be
> > installed.
> >
> > The remaining space will be used for / and all the software.
> >
> > sda1 = swap - 32g
> > sda2 = esp - xx size
> > sda3 =  / - remaining space
> >
> > Second question, partition order. Good or are there better arrangements.
> >
> > sb1 /home (in case anyone needs to know).
> >
> > All input is welcomed.
> >
> > As always, thank you again collective,
> >
> > Kate
>
> I'm used to using a concept that gives me a lot of variability:
>
> Now I usually use GPT.
>
> The first partition is either ESP or BIOS boot (depending on the
> capabilities of the machine) - I give 100MiB, even though it is an
> oversized size for both cases.
>
> The second partition for RAID1 intended for the system as such - depending
> on the purpose, either 10 GIB (servers) or 20 GiB (for a desktop machine),
> or how much you need for your system.
>
> And the rest of the disk as the third partition for LVM. Subsequently, I
> create all other partitions as LV in LVM - swap, var, tmp, home, backups,
> [...]

I forgot to say thank you Slavek & Nik and all for sharing.

As for the gear however, I had me reasons for choosing what I did.
I know my needs. All I wanted was thoughts on partition arrangement and sizes
for the boot drive.

For now I'll use Nik and Slaveks suggestions but I can always reinstall if
something comes up. It litterally only takes 3 mins. I keep all the rpms
locally so no need to redownload anything (expect for newer packages if there
are any).

Kate