Re: KDE 1 running on Fedora 25

On Wednesday 11 November 2020 10:15:47 am William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 November 2020 23:36:08 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Anno domini 2020 Wed, 11 Nov 08:01:58 +0100
> >
> > > I wonder how people have time to do such things - makes me think I do
> > > something wrong in my life.
> > > Why would one spend time on KDE1?!
> > > I can understand a person that is interested in the history of KDE ...
> > > but how many people write dissertations about history of KDE?
> >
> > Well, it's about computer history. Identify the corners and shortcuts
> > that took us into current mess. I know, "from history we learn that we do
> > not learn from history". But seome are interested and worried. What was
> > it like in 1997? What went wrong? Do you remember the time when computers
> > were a tool to help you, not to spy on you?
> >
> > Nik
>
> Yes, one can read about such a computer here:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abacus

Funny story (not),

I was working at Dell at the time when Windows 95 was beta released (mid ‘94
ish).  The network group (being real IT geeks) did some ‘testing’ (using the
pre-cursor to wireshark) and found that if the Win95 install had network
access then Win95 1) did a full disk scan, 2) packaged that up and sent it to
a Microsoft server, and 3) deleted all traces of the disk scan.

Why I remember it, is it amused me that they were in their lab yanking the
plug out of the wall half way through an install then sticking the drive into
another PC (Unix!) to see what Win95 was doing.

So, probably, the last time Windows didn’t ‘spy on you’ was probably Win 3.1.
Only because it couldn't.

Best,
Michael