Re: pmount vs. udisks2

On Friday 06 November 2020 00:35:03 BorgLabs - Kate Draven wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Is it just me or can sombody else replicate this behaviour:
> >
> > 1) pmount installed, udisks2 not installed: I get the "device
>
> inserted .."-dialog, but the device icons do not show up. Mounting and
> unmounting works. After removing all external devicis I still have /media/
> populated with "interesting" folders, each containing one
> file ".creaded_by_pmount". Zhese survive a reboot, so I have to remove them
> by hand.
>
> > 2) udisks2 is installed, pmount not instaled: I get the "device
>
> inserted .."-dialog, and all device icons as expected. Mounting and
> unmounting works. /media/ is working as expected, i.e. folders disappear
> when the device is removed.
>
> > So ... save to say "install udisks2 and forget aboult pmount" ? pmount i
>
> used in exegnulinux, that's why I ran into it.
>
> > Nik
> >

> > --
>
> Hi Nik
>
> I don't use pmount, so I can't speak to its behavior. udisk2, as you
> described, is how it works for me. udisk2, at least for me, works
> perfectly. However, I would wait for the remaining collective to speak. We
> might just learn something.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Kate

There was a much earlier thread, originally started by deloptes (I believe),
under this heading: "Auto-mount no longer auto-mounts (TDE mediamanager)"

drives were creating their own weird mount points, for example:

/media/Elements_25A1
/media/External_HDD____
/media/Mass_Storage_Device
/media/My_Book_________
/media/<some_new_name>
/media/<user_name>
/media/USB_Storage

(Note that I always create custom mount points for all my hard drives, so that
they don't keep changing on me if they somehow get unmounted. These points
did not obey my rules in fstab, but suddenly everything is more or less back
to normal.)

Does this sound like what you describe?

Bill