Re: MTP again

On Thursday 29 October 2020 04:21:29 E. Liddell via tde-users wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:14:33 +0100
>
> deloptes <deloptes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > E. Liddell wrote:
> > > I assume you've already seen https://wiki.debian.org/mtp
> > >
> > > Might be something useful here:
> > >
> > > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Media_Transfer_Protocol
> > >
> > > or here:
> > >
> > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MTP
> > >
> > > If those are no help, I would agree that it's better to ask through the
> > > Debian channels—this is a general non-TDE Linux question, so few of us
> > > are going to be at all knowledgeable.
> >
> > Well, I am not 100% sure it is not TDE. It could be the "camera protocol"
> > used by TDE is the problem, because I can see and browse through the
> > content in konqueror, but can not create directory or copy a file in
> > already existing directories.
> > But as far as I understand with MTP one could create directory on the
> > device or save a file.
> > It might be a project for someone or for me to create TDE MTP protocol
> > for konqueror.
>
> One really obvious, really stupid thing that didn't pop into my head last
> night:  have you checked user permissions and ownership on the
> mount point and below?  (Not that I know whether MTP does user
> permissions or not.)
>
> E. Liddell

So far as I am concerned, if the user is trying to connect the smartphone to a
TDE desktop, then (strictly speaking) it is not off-topic, but rather a
problem that concerns TDE users in general; not necessarily that TDE users
can actually use said smartphone.

;-)

I did mention this much earlier (months ago, maybe even a year ago?) when
smartphones again were being discussed. But here goes ...

When I was using the MATE desktop, I noticed that the MATE file manager, Caja,
*does* recognize the file system on my current smartphone, when attached by a
USB. (I was installing TDE packages, and had not yet got back home into TDE.)

I could browse the directories, look at files, etc.; yet I could not write or
make changes to anything on the phone, nor delete items. For that, I got
myself a card reader, and generally keep everything important on an SD card.
(I searched for the thread, but cannot find it; I remember giving some more
details about the connection, but it's buried somewhere in my emails.)

I *believe* that I recall the connections were listed as mtp://whatever

Whether I could somehow use Caja (or preferably Konqueror) to read and write
to the phone is another question. I did try changing permissions, but for
that, I believe I would need to root my phone, and I haven't wanted to take
that step yet, until I am sure that I have a backup plan. (I have a failed
hard drive full of inaccessible data to remind me of such folly, and a
bricked smartphone would be worse in some ways.)

I am not suggesting using MATE or Konqueror, only testifying that it is
possible to get my desktop to recognize the phone like a connected hard
drive, to browse directories and files, etc. So as I said, the problem, it
seems to me, has something to do with changing permissions, or rooting the
phone.

Bill