Re: [OT] Spam

Against my better judgment, I'll join in.

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 13:02 (-0500), Michael via tde-users wrote:

>>> I think the amount of spam is negligible compared to the amount of
>>> off-topic emails sent by
>>> regular list participants. I have been seriously considering
>>> unsubscribing from trinity-users
>>> because some people seem to treat the list as their private chat to
>>> discuss absolutely anything
>>> that comes to their mind. I wish the moderators were more strict and
>>> deleted all the
>>> TDE-unrelated chit-chat.

>>> Janek

>> +1

>> Jonesy

> -1

> Michael
> (You have me curious at this point, have neither of you worked in an office
> environment before?  Random chit-chat is de facto / de jur for any group of
> people who have known each other for years / decades.  This is also
> the “users” list, not the “developers” list, e.g. users helping users, so
> this list will always have random chit-chat as that is the nature of “users”
> lists.  Raging against the laws of the universe is all well and good, but
> seems kinda pointless...)

+1 to Janek.

And yes, I've worked in an office environment.  And, having done so, I
feel confident in saying that a mailing list is not an office
environment.  But even in a mailing list, a little chit-chat is one
thing, but some days there is a LOT of chit-chat.  For example, on
September 15 I received 50 emails from users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.  On
September 16 there were 61.  If I recall correctly, much of that was
chit chat.  Perhaps these are two of the days Janek was referring to.

The question you want to ask yourself is this: am I so desperate for
chit-chat that I am OK with alienating people who are on this list for
issues directly related to using TDE?

Cheers.
                                Jim