Re: How hard to make KMail multi-threaded?

On Wednesday 07 October 2020 19:03:04 Michael via tde-users wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 October 2020 04:45:51 pm deloptes via tde-users wrote:
> > I think this is a use case specific issue and has probably to do
> > with the number of filters. I am not sure how and where they are
> > executed, but it sounds like the GUI is blocked until something
> > executes in the background. I would not say it is related to the
> > retrieving of the mails as a process but most probably in something
> > after the message is already there. You could use tcpdump and
> > wireshark to see the timeline for example.
> >
> > You probably don't have the debug package installed, but if it is
> > there you could enable debugging for kmail and some tdeio like pop3
> > or imap etc. Restart kmail and see what the log says.
> > I don't have any better idea for now.
>
> We've most likely spent more time than this is worth already, and like
> you my best guess is number of messages combined with number of
> filters.
>
> > BTW it's also not clear which protocol you use - POP/IMAP?
>
> POP through an always present SSH tunnel.
>
> > I was given to understand a decade back by Ingo Kloker that it was
> > going to be a major rewrite.
>
> And that’s good enough for me to lay this to rest.

Just as well.  there are several other ways to attack that problem,
fetchmail/procmail was the obvious tool at the time it got under my
skin, about 15 years ago now.

> > Sounds a bit complex but it all Just Works. 2 mouse clicks to answer
> > a message as I am doing now.  Whats not to like?
>
> Did you ever do a write up somewhere?

Not recent enough to be valid today. Some new spammer shows up and he
soon gets added to the procmail filters, so lets just say its semi
dynamic. I don't retain that stuff more than 48 hours max as its fed to
sa-learn about 1 every morning, moved to a save dir in case a mistake
was made, and if I don't move it from that dir in that 24 hours, the
same script throws it away before copying in the new saved listings.  So
spam gets fed to sa-learn and saved, and if I don't move it, its gone
the next day. If its spam, why should I waste time and disk storing it
for 2 weeks?

Some lists I'm on are saved forever and I do have archives back to 2002
of some lists, but many have a 60 day expiry, or less.

> I can’t just delete mail (have
> to have 15 day retention on pretty much everything) but I’ve used most
> of the tools you talk about, so I’d like to play with it so to speak.
>
> Thanks All,
> Michael
> Web mail archive available at
> https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trinity