Re: How hard to make KMail multi-threaded?

On Wednesday 07 October 2020 11:24:30 Michael via tde-users wrote:

> Not horribly important, but whenever KMail checks mail is ‘freezes’
> for a bit and interrupts typing/mouse clicks (just for KMail, rest of
> system runs fine).
>
> Would it be hard to make KMail multi-threaded?  I’m assuming that’d
> ‘fix’ the freezes…
>
> Again, not at all critical, but if it’s easy, I’ll get off my butt and
> put in a feature request.

I was given to understand a decade back by Ingo Kloker that it was going
to be a major rewrite.

So I did the next best thing. using fetchmail I took that job away from
kmail by running as a daemon set to go get any email there might be at
my ISP's mail server, and configured it to use procmail as the MTA. Then
I learned to write recipes for procmail to get rid of the worst of the
spammers, the wrote more recipes to filter incoming thru clamav, and
ditto spamd so at least 75% of that crap goes to /dev/null.

What survives that gauntlet gets dumped into /var/mail/name, and another
scrip has launched inotifywait to watch that buffer location.
Inotifywait exits with the name of the file and my script then uses dbus
to send kmail a get the mail command. And relaunches inotifywait again.
So the freeze is reduced to a few milliseconds while it gets that
incoming mail and sorts it to the correct folder.

Sounds a bit complex but it all Just Works. 2 mouse clicks to answer a
message as I am doing now.  Whats not to like?

> Best,
> Michael
> Web mail archive available at
> https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trinity