Re: Wiki - individual application page(s)

Dne st 30. září 2020 Michael via tde-users napsal(a):
> On Tuesday 29 September 2020 08:36:07 pm Slávek Banko via tde-users
wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have an idea that pages with information about individual
> > applications could be created in the wiki, so that an overview of
> > these pages can replace the list of applications, which is statically
> > on the main web.
>
> A long time ago I was going to do this.  The problem I ran into was
> knowing where, and the existing format(s) of, the data needed to pull
> from to do a programmatic build of that page.  It also seems that the
> data is somewhat distribution delineated (or just used differently by
> each distribution)?
>
> My thoughts on questions that need answering before anyone starts:
>
> A) How do we want the Wiki page(s) structured?
> - - One page per App w/ no categorization?
> - - Categorization with all Apps in that group listed on one page?
> - - One page per App w/ Categorization to every group it could be listed
> in? - - Something else?

My idea is for each application an individual page with a categorization
determining where it belongs - to which summaries it should be listed.

> Hangman in the current Menu (Debian) for visualization:
>
> Menu
> - Edutainment (<Categorization)
> - - Languages (<Categorization)
> - - - KHangMan (<App)
> - Games (<Categorization)
> - - Games for Kids (<Categorization)
> - - - KHangMan (<App)

Yes, my idea was categorizing that way. I suppose it would be a good idea
for each level to be generated as individual pages so that the list of
applications isn't terribly long.

I don't know if it will be possible to use any module / extension that
could generate these category overview pages, or if there will be a need
to prepare some automation that will generate these pages and insert them
into the Wiki. But that's probably not important at the moment.

> B) What data do we want on the Apps page(s)?
> - - Name (whose/which name?)
> - - Description (^)
> - - Command to run?
> - - Package(s) it’s in?
> - - Menu(s) it’s in?
> - - Icon?
> - - ????

Very good design. I assume that the name should be the one that the
application uses as its name in the About dialog. There could probably be
two descriptions - a brief description and a detailed description.

Do you have any idea that information for such application information
cards could be extracted in some way? I am afraid that this will require,
above all, manual effort.

> C) What data do we want on the Categorization page(s)? (if used)
> - - Apps
> - - {basically anything from App above}
> - - ????

For the category overview pages I had an idea:
- Name
- Brief description
- Icon

> # # #
>
> As a big fuzzy guess, whatever currently builds the menus seems like a
> logic place to start from...
>
> Injecting the data into the Wiki is most likely trivial.  If nothing
> else it’s just dup a test bed somewhere and use raw SQL ‘till it
> works...
>
> As a suggestion, I’d use a page(s) on the new Wiki to hash all this out.
> Using the new Wiki also allows creating multiple example
> structures/pages thereby supporting some sort of eventual choice
> decision by the whole group.
>
> my 2 cents,
> Michael

Thank you for your interest in this task!

Cheers
--
Slávek