VirtualBox working in OpenSuSE

On Tuesday 29 September 2020 11:26:27 pm J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:
> 	If I could figure out how to get VirtualBox working in OpenSuSE I'd use
> that to run other OS images, but so far my inability to install some of its
> components has me stymied.

Hi Leslie,

I have no idea if this will help, and I’m sure you’ll need to translate
package names to OpenSuSE.  These are the ‘automagic’ package install
instructions for MX Linux (Debian 10 buster).  They work and are very well
tested.  How to use VirtualBox I’ll still sorting out, so I can’t help you
there :(

- For 64 bit architectures, do in order <preinstall>, <install_package_names>,
<postinstall>.
- Uninstall with <uninstall_package_names>.

Notes:  MX does these through a graphical sudo process in Xfce.  When I did it
(in TDE) I had to run it as raw root to be able to ‘accept’ the Oracle thing
[TOS?].  It was ‘broken’ unless I accepted it.

###############
<installable>
64
</installable>

<screenshot>https://screenshots.debian.net/screenshots/000/015/010/large.png</screenshot>

<preinstall>
</preinstall>

<install_package_names>
virtualbox
virtualbox-ext-pack
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
</install_package_names>

<postinstall>
gpasswd -M $(getent group users | cut -d: -f4) vboxusers
</postinstall>

<uninstall_package_names>
virtualbox
virtualbox-ext-pack
virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
</uninstall_package_names>
###############

Uh, yeah, that postinstall I'm sure it's not the same for OpenSuSE.  Here’s
what the sub commands are on my box, both root and my username come up with
the same value.

michael@local [~]# getent group users
users:x:100:michael
root@local [~]# getent group users
users:x:100:michael
# getent group users | cut -d: -f4
michael

Grab a Debian Man for gpasswd if gpasswd isn’t the same on OpenSuSE.

HTH,
Michael