Re: TDE distro for beginners

Anno domini 2020 Sun, 20 Sep 20:51:03 +0200
 Slávek Banko via tde-users scripsit:
> On Sunday 20 of September 2020 20:09:14 E. Liddell via tde-users wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 22:47:27 -0500
> >
> > Michael via tde-users <ml-migration-agent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > On Saturday 19 September 2020 02:12:55 pm Thierry de Coulon

> > > Having the Wiki be multilingual would be really nice.
> > >
> > > I think this is the right extension?
> > >
> > > https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate
> > >
> > > “The Translate extension makes MediaWiki a powerful tool to translate
> > > every kind of text. It's used especially to translate software and to
> > > manage multilingual wikis in a sensible way.
> > >
> > > “The Translate extension allows for connection to a translation
> > > service and can auto fill the translation for you. At the same time a
> > > translator can make adjustments so you're not creating lots of pages
> > > with inaccurate translations.”
> > >
> > > Whoever is doing the Wiki, is this something we could add?
> > >
> > > Or is there a better solution?
> >
> > "Better" is a fuzzy word in this case.  This extension seems to be for
> > getting some form of translated text in place with a minimum of work.
> > The result likely won't be as good as a competent translator working on
> > it from scratch (the temptation to retain things like
> > not-quite-appropriate sentence structure from the original language is
> > always there).
> >
> > The languages menu will have to be included in the wiki theme's sidebar,
> > but that's relatively trivial.
> >
> > E. Liddell
> >

> The Translate extension is not currently installed. If this extension is
> appropriate to create translated pages, we can install it.
>
> However, I'm a little worried that more than a small amount of wiki content
> needs updating. This would probably be a good thing to do before devoting
> efforts to translation. Just my guess.

Most likely the only interesting pages to translate are the "how to install". They should be reachable from the first page, so in case a person not speaking englisch can at least recongise his/her on tongue and click on the correct link. All other transltions .. well, google is not good but does a decent job to give you a solvable riddle.

Nik