Re: Re: fetching photos from android phone

Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> From a search I get that mass storage was dropped when Android/Google
> increased "data scurity" on the phones. Why we are not allowed to take
> responsibility for the security of our data I don't know.
>
> I guess that any newer Android version will be MTP only. I did try various
> Linux OSes on a PinePhone and I nust say the results are - for the time
> being - quite devastating. The device is slow, and the OS are far from
> ready, to the point that many can't even... phone. Apps don't adapt to the
> screen, most don't rotate (and usually only manualy if they do). There's
> no camera suppport or very bad if any.
>
> I don't use my phone much, and I I still use a "real" camera for pictures,
> but even so I'm not abandonning my compact Sony for a while.

I started using Nokia N9 when the whole madness around "smart" kicked in. It
was a kind of debian OS (MeeGo) and it is still a great phone.

Few years later when Nokia gave up the guys that were working on N9 founded
Jolla and 2016 I bought the Intex AquaFish, that unfortunately finally
ended in the hands of my wife. 2017 it was not possible to purchase the
Intex anymore, because production was too expensive and Jolla was in bad
shape (They failed on the hardware manufacturing costs). I went for Sony
Xperia X where you could flash the Saialfish OS and I am still using it
today as primary phone. Licensed (29,-€) version has Dalvik and you can run
Android apps as well. I tried last year XA2 (which has a newer Dalvik), but
I failed flashing it and returned as I did not have the time to
investigate. At the moment I can not find hardware (latest is Xperia 10 or
so but is also out of stock).

Long story short there are only few meaningful alternatives to Android and
iOS and there is nothing for my pocket - Librem 5
(https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-5/) $750,- or PinePhone that you
described very well.
I would like to try librem-5 but 750 is simply too much and I am not sure it
will cover my daily use cases.

In 2016 I was already familiar with Qt, so Sailfish seemed to be a good
choice and things that worked on the N9 still work on the Sailfish (well
some had to be recompiled and pimped of course). But at the moment I have
peace.

It is indeed very very hard to swim against the mainstream on the phone
market. Incredible (IMO)!