Re: New Motherboard Opinions

On Mon, 24 Aug 2020 11:54:13 -0400
"BorgLabs - Kate Draven" <borglabs4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Collective
>
> As I said previously, I'm rebuilding my primary computer.
> I've contacted several board makers and only gigabyte replied so far.
> Below is their offerings for threadripper cpus. I'd like opinions and why.
>
> https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/AMD-TRX40
>
> Thanks to all in advance,

I have a Threadripper 1900X (that's the early, low-end 8-core/16-thread offering
that they dropped for later generations) and an ASUS Prime X399-A motherboard.
That's a TR4 socket board, so if you're buying a 3rd generation Threadripper, you
don't want that exact board—you'll need a TRX4 socket instead.  I've never worked
with Gigabyte boards specifically, so I can't comment on their build quality.  ASUS
sometimes has better reviews, but the difference seems small.

Even low-end Threadripper boards should be fairly well tricked out (in both useful
and non-useful ways—I didn't really *want* those RGB LEDs . . .).  The first thing I
would consider is how many M.2/NVMe and SATA slots you need, and how many
PCIe add-on board slots, because there's sometimes a tradeoff there.  I notice
that Gigabyte's site doesn't tell you how many plain SATA drives the boards
accommodate (newegg gives 8xSATA for the Gigabyte Aorus Master).

The second thing I'd look at is how many of which kind of onboard USB headers
the board has (2.0 VS 3 VS 3 with USB-C), and how many you need, keeping
in mind that each header may support multiple ports.

The Gigabyte boards have built in WLAN—is this a feature you want?  Otherwise
they seem superficially similar to my non-WLAN ASUS board, with Realtek hi-def
audio and Intel LAN chipsets . . . but there's one more thing you need to be careful of.
While I'm not sure it's still true in this generation, many early Threadripper boards like
mine use specific variants of the it87 sensor chip that are only supported under Linux
by an unmaintained out-of-tree kernel driver that has to be specially loaded to suppress
an ACPI conflict.  Without a working driver for that chip, you can't get fan information.
It's possible that doesn't matter to you, of course.

Overall, my Threadripper's always run cool (~30C is typical, ~60C if I'm compiling
OpenOffice or something, and I've never seen it break 70C).  That's in a large,
moderately well-ventilated case with an unexceptional CPU fan.

Hope that helps in some way.

E. Liddell