Re: Purging non needed TDE packages

On Wednesday 05 August 2020 10:44:30 am Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2020 Wed, 5 Aug 10:40:47 -0500
>
>  Michael scripsit:
> > {snip all}
> >
> > Hi Stefan, Nik, et al.,
> >
> > Thank you for the replies.  While it still bothers me why I can’t figure
> > out how to get apt to do what I want, it was mostly a whim, with some
> > slight security considerations, so I think I’m giving up.  As pointed
> > out, it’s just a bit of space on the drive.
> >
> > I tried apt-mark manual, but removing klaptopdaemon-trinity still wants
> > to remove tde-trinity and tdeutils-trinity (output at bottom).
> >
> > > Maybe it would be a good idea for packages to set the parent
> > > metapackage
> >
> > as "optional?"
> >
> > Possibly this is the issue?  But I’m not familiar enough with the package
> > management system to grok how to ‘fix’ it so that you can install
> > tde-trinity and then be able to remove one of its components without apt
> > trying to remove all of its components.
> >
> > Possibly it’s not achievable?
> >
> > Unless there is a way from a user perspective, closing the whole
> > dependency thing with ‘not doable.’
> >
> > Best All,
> > Michael
> >
> > root@local [~]# apt-mark manual tde-trinity tdeutils-trinity
> > tde-trinity was already set to manually installed.
> > tdeutils-trinity set to manually installed.
> >
> > root@local [~]# apt-get purge klaptopdaemon-trinity
> > {snip}
> > The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> > required:
> >   amor-trinity arts-trinity {snip} twin4-trinity xcalib
> > Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> >   klaptopdaemon-trinity* tde-trinity* tdeutils-trinity*
> > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
> > After this operation, 840 kB disk space will be freed.
> > Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> > Abort.
>
> The metapackgs can be removed without any problem.

Yes and no...  They have a function.  In this case it’s to be the metapackage
for TDE as a whole, so if any new packages get added they get automagically
pulled in.  Granted that’d be rare for TDE, but in the case of mx-apps (same
issue, different app), it is present to push out new mx-tools if one comes
along.