Re: Purging non needed TDE packages

{snip all}

Hi Stefan, Nik, et al.,

Thank you for the replies.  While it still bothers me why I can’t figure out
how to get apt to do what I want, it was mostly a whim, with some slight
security considerations, so I think I’m giving up.  As pointed out, it’s just
a bit of space on the drive.

I tried apt-mark manual, but removing klaptopdaemon-trinity still wants to
remove tde-trinity and tdeutils-trinity (output at bottom).

> Maybe it would be a good idea for packages to set the parent metapackage
as "optional?"

Possibly this is the issue?  But I’m not familiar enough with the package
management system to grok how to ‘fix’ it so that you can install tde-trinity
and then be able to remove one of its components without apt trying to remove
all of its components.

Possibly it’s not achievable?

Unless there is a way from a user perspective, closing the whole dependency
thing with ‘not doable.’

Best All,
Michael

root@local [~]# apt-mark manual tde-trinity tdeutils-trinity
tde-trinity was already set to manually installed.
tdeutils-trinity set to manually installed.

root@local [~]# apt-get purge klaptopdaemon-trinity
{snip}
required:
  amor-trinity arts-trinity {snip} twin4-trinity xcalib
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  klaptopdaemon-trinity* tde-trinity* tdeutils-trinity*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
After this operation, 840 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.