Re: Apt-get or aptitude to install the TDE?

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020, Felix Miata wrote:

Ken Heard composed on 2020-08-02 15:12 (UTC+0700):

I note that in the instructions for installing TDE R14.0.8 say to run as
root the following:
apt-get update
aptitude install TDE-trinity
I am confused by the fact that two different installation applications are
used here, apt get and aptitude. It was always my understanding that those
two apps should not be mixed because they are not compatible.  I have
always used apt for all the desktops I ever had including for installing
TDE and never had any problem.
Is aptitude better for TDE than apt? I would prefer to use apt because that
is what I plan to use for installing Debian Buster on a couple of desktops
in the near future.

I quit apt-get when I discovered apt quite some years ago. For installing,
removing and purging since that discovery, I routinely use only apt. Aptitude I
use mostly for searching.

simply would like to know what the advantage is for you in apt?

I use apt-get from habit but out of ignorance more than anything else I don't know of a reason to change.

--
Felmon Davis

Verbum sat sapienti.