Re: Writing Blu-Ray?

On Wednesday 08 July 2020 07:32:03 Michele Calgaro via trinity-users wrote:
> On 2020/07/08 04:41 PM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > I am in need of backuping quite a volume of data, so DVD's would feel
> > like old time floppy backup. I was thinking of turning to blu-ray (M-Disc
> > as they advertise long life).
> >
> > Does anyone know if TDE's k3b can write on Blu-ray, or would I have to
> > install KDE's (or rather some Gnome stuff?). Debian Buster here.
> >
> > Thierry
>
> Hi Thierry,
> we did some work recently on TDE to add some support for bluray discs, but
> I have no clue if it works in k3b. If you are on PSB or PTB you could give
> it a try and let us know.
>
> Personally, if I need to back up lot of data (perhaps frequently) I would
> buy a cheap harddisk and use that as backup. IF you need extra protection
> you can have more than one HD and either have multiple backups or use RAID
> config.
>
> Cheers
>   Michele

I can appreciate your not wanting to mess up your TDE system with krap from
KDE4/5 or Plasma, and other desktops have their problems, too. So I would
install a non-TDE version of K3b only as a last resort.

It may be that you only need the blu-ray libraries. I would be glad to test
this for you, but I have no blu-ray discs, and besides I have just blown my
wad on buying a small collection of hard drives for extra storage and backup.

When I run "sudo apt-cache search blu-ray", the Devuan/Debian repositories
only return a few items:

libbluray-bin libbluray1-dbg aacskeys dumphd libbluray-bdj libbluray-dev
libbluray-doc libbluray1

also
tsmuxer tsmuxergui
(And I believe these last couple are just for burning films to DVD, rather
than data.)

Otherwise, you might consider trying command-line, as there is no need to
install anything that is non-TDE, and you are basically performing the same
tasks, only without the GUI.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/k3b-and-bluray-burning-922094/
https://wiki.debian.org/BurnCd
https://www.linuxsecrets.com/2964-burning-cd-dvd-drives
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CdDvd/Burning

A couple of those links are pretty detailed, and if it is possible, they lay
it out for you step-by-step.

Good luck!

Bill