Re: could not start tdeinit

On Sat, 9 May 2020, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Saturday 09 May 2020 17:37:52 Felmon Davis wrote:

On Sat, 9 May 2020, Mike Bird wrote:
On Sat May 9 2020 14:11:11 Felmon Davis wrote:
you are speaking to the file system frailty, right?

I'm still wondering if there's a way to fix the tdeinit/dcopserver
problem (without reinstalling everything).

There's a broken file system but we have no idea
what is broken.

Are you perchance running that SSD on a usb adapter?  I've found the
startech version the only one that Just Works.

no, it's an internal drive. don't recall the brand.

I wish I knew which bits to reinstall.

I've deleted stuff from /tmp.
I've removed .ICEauthory and anything dcop-ish in /home.
I did a dist-upgrade.
I have another user set up for TDE but same log-in problem (of course).

I have xfce4 which I can log into with ease.

ah, important to note this is devuan.

oh, lookie here! I checked out my refind and there's a Kubuntu install - totally forgot! no problem logging in.

the problem install is on /dev/sda3; the kubuntu on /dev/sda2.

again, I wish I knew what needs reinstalling just to be able to log back in.

f.

I guess instead of reinstalling everything you could
run debsums first to see if anything is broken.

--Mike

the file system is working now but it's fragile in the sense that I
now get the ready-only problem, say every few days.

if I can help it, I don't want to reinstall at the moment. and I don't
have a current enough system-backup. not to mention I'm thinking it
may be time for a new SSD.

but I'll reinstall if I can't find a more surgical fix.

f.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

--
Felmon Davis