Re: [quite OT] TDE shirts

On Friday 24 of April 2020 03:29:29 Michael wrote:
> snipping everything down to Open Collective
>
> On Thursday 23 April 2020 07:26:00 pm Slávek Banko wrote:
> > That's why I was very interested to see that Gitea, which we use as a
> > platform for developer collaboration, uses Open Collective - see
> > https://opencollective.com/gitea/
> >
> > After an initial survey, it seems to me that Open Collective could
> > suit our needs. This could provide transparent bookkeeping and legal
> > status for us without interfering with our activities, our decisions
> > and our goals. Since I'm definitely not omniscient and I'd like us to
> > make decisions as a team, please, if you have bookkeeping and legal
> > knowledge, you can take a closer look at Open Collective.
> >
> > I look forward to your feedback, comments and ideas.
>
> Hi Slávek,
>
> Yeah, I'm one of those MBA wienies that looks at the bottom line first
> then the capabilities.
>
> Open Collective’s fees seem a bit high?
>
> $10 per month, plus
> 7.9% + 30¢ per successful card charge
>
> 30 cents at the $10 payment level is 3%, so average costs will probably
> be around ~11% of receipts.
>
> https://opencollective.com/pricing
> https://stripe.com/pricing

I assumed a plan using a fiscal host. If I understood correctly, for
OpenSource projects, there are fiscal hosts available that have 5% fees
and no fixed monthly fees. And above all, the fiscal host would take care
of bookkeeping, taxes, and so on. We could choose whether we prefer the US
(USD currency) or the EU (EUR currency):

https://opencollective.com/pricing?tab=singleCollectiveWithoutAccount

> # # #
>
> These kind of decisions are always a trade off, personally I’d go with
> Open Collective to begin with, but if the [TDE-ORG] starts getting
> decent funding I’d move on to something else.

If we use the Open Collective fiscal host, we would not have to deal with
starting our own organization for now. That's one of the reasons why Open
Collective seems interesting to me.

> (Again personally) I’d suggest https://civicrm.org/ on
> https://backdropcms.org/ for the ‘later’ as the fees then are:
>
> Discounted rate for eligible charities, 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction
> (average costs will probably be around ~6% of receipts.)

CRM and CMS? Does that seem to be quite a different purpose than we are
dealing with now?

> https://www.paypal.com/en/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees
>
> But, as that would be later, the group will probably come up with
> something better by then.
>
> And I somewhat agree with you on holding off on this whole discussion,
> but I think it’s probably actually helpful to get it most of it
> discussed before we approach Timothy.
>
> Best All,
> Michael

The intention to pause the discussion was only because we need to devote
our time at this time to preparing the release of R14.0.8, which is
scheduled for next week. There is no doubt that this discussion is
important and that this topic needs to be discussed.

Cheers
--
Slávek